leonidaszazelis

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Common Mistakes - Advice or advise?

Veja a diferença entre advice /ədˈvaɪs/ (conselho; recomendação) e advise /ədˈvaɪz/ (aconselhar; recomendar)

My advice is to forget all about it.
(noun = recommendation)


I asked my lawyer for his advise. (Incorrect)
I asked my lawyer for his advice. (Correct)

It is full of good advices on healthy eating. (Incorrect)
It is full of good advice on healthy eating. (Correct)


Advice is an uncountable noun: 'I could do with some advice.'
She gave me a good advice. (Incorrect)
She gave me some good advice. (Correct) 

Compare: 'She gave me a good piece of advice.'
a piece of advice is countable.

 
What would you advise me to do?
(verb = recommend)

I adviced him to tell the police. (Incorrect)
I advised him to tell the police. (Correct)

No comments :

Post a Comment

Deixe seu comentário! Ele é muito importante para o desenvolvimento do Blog. Ainda hoje seu comentário será postado aqui.